Kinder Road, Kinder, Hayfield, Derbyshire, United Kingdom
An ancient farmstead dating back to at least the 14th Century, Upper House stands isolated on the side of Kinder Scout, at the convergence of ancient pack horse routes from Glossop, Hayfield and Edale.
Neighbouring farms were compulsorily purchased and demolished when Sir James Watts, Mayor of Manchester, sold the land to Stockport Water Authority for the Reservoir in the late 1800’s. Sir James insisted that he retain Upper House as his shooting lodge, and set about improving it with the talented architects, masons and craftsmen that created the municipal works of the day. The estate was then used solely for recreation, with the two woodlands being created to enhance the available game stocks on the moors.