As an award-winning wedding planner who has had plenty of practice; she said she “stopped counting” when she hit a thousand ceremonies, Beverly King, the resident wedding planner at Antigua’s Jolly Beach Resort and Spa is source to be trusted when it comes to wedding advice.
Here she shares her top ten tips.
- Be the Early-Bird. Make sure you book early as everything is subject to availability, and your preferred date may be taken by someone else.
- Learn from the scouts; be prepared. Find out what documentation is required for the specified country and the length of time you as a couple need to be there before they can wed. Legal requirements vary worldwide. In Antigua it is extremely easy. We have a no residency policy e.g. you can go to the Legal Office at 9am and be married by 4:30pm the same day. On arrival to the resort you have an appointment to meet with the Wedding Co-coordinator where all final plans are made for your special occasion and the legal forms are filled out for the Registrar and Legal Office.
- Dress to chill – your wedding attire should be cool and light coloured, nobody wants to see the bride and groom sweating down the aisle!
- Don’t burn – a strapless wedding dress does not look good with a sunburnt back, and a suit doesn’t go particularly well with a lobster red face.
- Don’t forget – who’s got the rings? Tie them to something immovable, like the best man.
- Bless ‘em – blessings are available at Jolly Beach.
- Think twice – always request a copy of the marriage certificate before leaving the resort.
- Believe! – trust your wedding co-ordinator; she is there to do the thinking for you!
- Family ties – Jolly Beach has family and friend deals available.
- Smile! –remember you are saving an average of £20,000 on a UK wedding, which leaves plenty of cash for a few extras like flight upgrades and several dozen bottles of champagne!
- For more information on the various wedding packages available at the Jolly Beach Resort and Spa, please visit jollybeach resort.