Mark Anthony, also known as the “Body Genius”, is one of London’s fitness gurus and the UK’s leading celebrity fitness trainers. His list of prestigious clients includes many high profile figures from around the world of media and entertainment, from Hollywood actors to top musicians.
1. I wondered how long you believe it takes to achieve a perceptible change in the body? And what is required to achieve this?
Six weeks of following a specific plan. Follow my 6 Week London Body Plan video podcast, train by using simple exercises that tone the body and follow this with 20-25 minutes cardiovascular exercise. Meal planning is important, so follow my principle of portion control. This is measuring your food with the palm of your hand.
2. If you have a month to tone up what routine would you advise – how many times a week would you recommend exercising/ what type/intensity and duration you’d recommend to see real results? And how would you suggest keeping up motivation?
Four times a week, performing one body part per session. Exercising Monday, Tuesday, rest Wednesday, train Thursday, Friday. Intensify resistance work followed by a moderate level of cardiovascular exercise. Stay focused on your goal, stay positive at all times and inject some passion and energy into your exercise plan.
3. What can you realistically expect to achieve in a month – drop a dress size?? What is possible with just a week to go and again what routine would you recommend?
With my 6 Week London Body Plan you can expect to lose 2/3 dress sizes and a lot of weight within that period.
4. What nutritional goals/ advice would you give with a month/week to go? What are the no-go’s must-eats/ super snacks?
Say no to salt, sugar, processed food, simple carbs and sweets. You must have complex carbs, brown rice and brown pasta. Super snacks ie: apricot and unsalted nuts, half an avocado, protein shakes with hemp and spirulina in. I will be launching a range of Mark Anthony branded workout energy bars and drinks in April.
5. If you are training a celebrity for a specific event like a film premier/Oscars – when would you start preparing and what would the exercise routine/nutritional programme involve – please give specific examples too.
Between 6-8 weeks away for an event. Although I have trained someone just 5 days away. Depending on the event, I would use my 3 tier body system to condition them through a wave of physical activity that changes every 2, 3 or 4 weeks.